...becoming again who I am...
- Ivo Selder is born 6 December 1973 in Oostrum, a small town farming community in Limburg, the southern province of The Netherlands. He grows up in the natural surroundings of wood- and farmland and enjoys a pleasant childhood, spending his time with local farmers working the lands. Here his fascination for nature, observation, meditation and spirituality finds its origin. As a self-taught artist internal exploration and active reflection begins around 1994, with the shortfilms Nieuwe Koers (New Course) and Bestemming (Destination). Although more like notes or sketches, looking back, these films can be considered starting points and an indication of a more and more inward and personal journey to come. Photographs below are stills taken from the shortfilms Nieuwe Koers (1994) and Bestemming (1994) with Martijn van der Zwet.
- "Nieuwe Koers" becomes something of a philosophy/study in itself, a new aproach towards film, and maybe life in general. Future work from then on is released as "Nieuwe Koers productions". For years, up to 2001 there is written on this overarching project, with an expanding archive of images and sound. The try-out material, intended for "Nieuwe Koers" is later 'found' and used, as is the case with Transito (2001), in which much of the underlying philosophical narrative is expressed. From 2002 to 2005 new field-explorations are covered and archived for a future film, Memorium (2013). Although there is no further writing on "Nieuwe Koers" since editing Transito certain associated elements are present in Memorium.
- End of 1998 Selder moves from Oostrum to Den Haag in the west of the country, where he lives and works until begin 2009. In 1999 Zonder titel (Untitled), an 11-minute shortfilm is completed and shown on several shortfilm festivals throughout the country. It is the first film Selder exposes himself with to the outside world, proving an interesting experience but not an end in itself.
- In 2000 IvoSelder.com is registered and the work shared for public viewing. Editing starts in 2001 on a new film - then called "Memorylane project"; an intended walk through the "Nieuwe Koers" archives dating back to 1994 - that is to become Transito (2001). From 2002 to 2005 new field-explorations are covered and archived for the future film Memorium (2013), going through a long trajectory of editing.
- "Zonder titel shows the multiplicity of a space wherein a factory also works as a dreammachine; left behind as waste by man, picked up by Selder as a dreamspace. (...) A ruïne-like factory gradually becomes a sort of dreamfactory during the film, a world of association where time and space-boundaries are explored."
- Ruud Hendriks "Beautiful sober and concealing meditative abstract footage of an abandoned factory complex. Meditative music supports this visual examination of the remnants of industrial archeology. A timeless operation with a convincing blend of music and editingstructure."
- Joop de Jong
- "Beautiful images of a derelict and overgrown factory. Strong drawn atmosphere and beautiful framing of the camera. Somewhat horror-like because of the mystique of the images. (...) Day and night intermingle, which gives an alienating effect."
- Jamel Aattache, Maureen du Toit, Kim Ho Kim "A movie like a dream to watch. Only very occasionally do you get grip in the form of ominous and beautiful images."
- Simone van de Broek "Nightshots of an absolutely disquieting atmosphere..."
- Andre van der Hout
- Editing starts in 2001 on a new film - then called "Memorylane project"; an intended walk through the "Nieuwe Koers" archives with material dating back to 1994 - that is to become Transito. For years up to 2001 there is written on this 'film philosophy', an overarching project, with an expanding archive of images and sound.
- This try-out material, intended for "Nieuwe Koers" is later 'found' and used, as is the case with this film Transito, in which much of the underlying philosophical narrative is expressed. Although there is no further writing on "Nieuwe Koers" since editing Transito, certain associated elements are present in Memorium (2013).
- "With Transito I've been searching, been on a journey, to the dark shadows of the subconscious, reflected in a composition of elements of a mysterious universe. It has given me a self-image, it had my ratio descend into the feeling. It send my "mental I", the spiritual resemblance, on a journey, let it float through that same universe as one giant self-exposure; an experience that is wonderful, light, dark, magical and terrifying at the same time. The journey also provides in the liberating sensation of awakening. The journey has not been in vain; I have become aware of the "self" that has been revealed so very subtly in the center of the labyrinth, without loosing the dynamic movement of "searching"." "Transito in particular evokes a universe behind a universe, images behind mages, sounds behind sounds. This already makes the film attractive visually and auditorily, but even more substantial is what it achieves: behind every concrete image, included (edited) in the film there rises another, mental image, as a marker, an imprint in my mind as viewer. Somewhere in the subconscious there is another 'film' edited, is another journey achieved." "Structurally Transito is a very clever piece of work. This ability lies especially in the balans of the strictness on one hand, and on the other hand the total free world of movement (mental especially) this yields. That means that Selder has set, thought out, found a structure that doesn't force or push anywhere; not a moment does the film feel "structured"."
- "In Transito the "black" regularly returns as checkpoint. Rhythmically, in the editing, but especially in the experience of travelling, that carefully counts. Because of these considerations, through the points of rest, the extensive experiences on their own can "descend"; as if they're looping back to the rational, while also maturing in the depths of the feeling itself. This is crucial, I believe. Without these points it would just go on, but thanks to these points it is allowed to dance and vary. Nothing feels imposed."
"Dark and black seems this world of the subconsious, the unknown. Right through this black my journey went, as through a magic mirror, searching for the 'self', that is found in the pure suggestion, but makes it no less valuable. From the black, to the light I returned, I awoke with a sense of dèjá vu; sincere is the sensation of fear and light joy that is felt, fear for the mystery, joy for the magic. On the basis of pure, concrete elements a pure cinematographic journey through a philosophic-spiritual universe became possible; a universe of an outer world ánd an inner world. During the process body and mind, the physical and the mental became separated and seemed to be observing each other. In the result a new "film" took shape, a new "montage", of the actual film, or the actual experience. I returned from the black, with a piece of recaptured 'self'.
The journey of Transito rewards. A lot."
- Ruud Hendriks
2002 - 2008Memorium
- For several years Memorium (2013) is in production, with a first title announcement as early as 2002. In the following four years, from May 2002 until September 2005 a series of field-explorations is covered and captured. Final specific footage is shot September 2005, and immediately after the first selection of material starts, all through 2006. In 2007 editing is well underway and July 2008 some important developments occur editing Memorium. They result in certain life-changing decisions on a personal level. An example of how the proces can take its maker by the hand.
- End of 2008 editing is in a far advanced stage, however January 2009 events of a more radical nature put it on hold. In loving memory: Annie Selder † 17-01-2009 ~ Jules Selder † 05-03-2009. The film is revisited briefly in June 2009, after a half-year stop, but there's a certain detachment and decided is to let go for a while. In September 2011 editing is resumed, preparing sound-archives and music for further editing. Memorium as 'process' is ongoing, the film is expected to be finalised in the nearby future.
2009 - 2010Nightport
- Moving from Den Haag back to Oostrum, town of birth. Exploring and (re)discovering the region, especially through sound. Many of these field-recordings are made specifically for the 2013 film Memorium. The film is revisited briefly in June 2009, after a half-year stop, but there's a certain detachment and decided is to let go for a while. Nightport is a continuous photographic series exploring the night, projecting inner light. In addition these explorations also regularly involve taking field-recordings.
- From the 26 September until 20 December the first photographs for the Nightport series are taken, in Wellerlooi, Arcen, Oostrum, Smakt and Maashees. Continued in 2010 as Nightport (II), with photographs taken from 1 January until 21 September in Oostrum, Wellerlooi, Arcen, Cadzand-Bad and Sluis. Also in 2010 railroad renovations are closely followed with a dedicated photo- and soundproject Equidistance (inner workings).
- An assortment of more extended field-recordings taken between May 2009 and June 2010 is in preparation for a Nightport: Nocturnes musicproject. In Germany most of these recordings are made: of passing freighttrains with bulk transport of iron ore, coal and containers at a railroad crossing in a small forest near Breyell, and on a remote field in Boisheim; inside the base of a fire lookout tower and at a small electrical substation house in the Reichswald forest at Grafwegen, Kranenburg; at windturbines in Kevelaer and Kerken; and at an electrical main substation in Dülken.
- Further recordings in the Netherlands are made in the forest of Geijsteren near Oostrum of the fireworks on new years eve; of agricultural harvesting machines in Oostrum, Oirlo and Vredepeel; at a sand and gravel dredging plant at the Kraaijenbergse Plassen in Cuijk; at the Maas river under a motorway overpass in Cuijk; at cow houses on farms in Cuijk and Griendtsveen and meadows in Milsbeek and Maashees; at an electrical main substation in Eindhoven; and more...
2010Equidistance (inner workings)
- In the period from 6 June until 22 August 2010, over the course of several nights maintenance work on the Maaslijn railway infrastructure is closely followed. The result of these followings, approximately 600 photo's and 10 hours of field-recordings is reworked and prepared for the future project Equidistance (inner workings).
- The Maaslijn (railway line, named after the Maas river) goes from the cities of Nijmegen to Roermond. Renovations during this period concerned the Maasvillages and stations of Boxmeer, Vierlingsbeek and Venray and intermediate sections at Sambeek, Vortum-Mullem, Groeningen, Holthees, Smakt, Boshuizen and Oostrum.
2010 - 2011Seaport
- Living and working in Cadzand-Bad, a seaside resort in Zeeuws-Vlaanderen (Zeelandic Flanders). It is a region in the south-west of the Netherlands in the province Zeeland, bordering to the south with Belgium. Geographically it is in part Dutch/Zeeuws, and part Belgian/Vlaams. This region is known for the beachtourism, nature resorts and reclaimed land, polders. Driving inland through these polders there's a typical Dutch landscape of farmland and agriculture on a large scale.
- These sceneries are of particular interest exploring, through film- and soundprojects. Video is archived for a future Untitled film. Closely followed also are works on coastal defense projects and several harbourareas are visited. An extensive archive of field-recordings is reserved and prepared for a Seaport project. Memorium is revisited, soundarchives and music are prepared for further editing. Memorium is expected to be finalised during 2013...
- Field-recordings for this Seaport project are made during 2010 and 2011, following coastal defense and beach nourishment works: dredging, sediment replacement, expanding of beaches, and reinforcement works on sea dikes. Supplementing this material, other field-recordings are made in the harbourarea of Zeebrugge (Belgium) at the container transshipment dock and drawbridges; in Breskens at the Veolia Fast Ferry terminal and on the old fishing harbour docks during high tide with strong wind; in Oostende during a storm at the catamaran sail yacht club with the wind playing the
- sailboat masts and ropes, functioning as windchimes; in Schoondijke at an experimental windturbine technopark; at the windmill of Cadzand-Dorp; and more... These sound recordings are prepared for an extensive Seaport project, with approximately 10 hours of raw material, of which 3 hours coastal defence works related. Photography is added to the continuous Nightport series. The photographs below are taken on 9 September 2010, during excavation work on the Cadzand-Bad harbour, here during night shift because of the tide.
- Nightport is a continuous photographic series exploring the night, projecting inner light. In addition these explorations also regularly involve taking field-recordings.
- The photographs from this 2011 Nightport (III) series are taken from 20 May until 17 August in Breskens, Cadzand, Sluis and Zeebrugge harbour (Belgium).
2012View with a Room
- Taking up temporary residence for three months, from January until April 2012, in a bungalow on the campgrounds of Landgoed Geysteren, along the Maas river. Soundrecordings are made from within and around the house, of cargo vessels and bulk carriers passing through the night. Approximately 4 1/2 hours of soundrecordings and an hour of musical
- sketches will form the basis for this 2013 musicproject View with a Room, that is intended more or less as one continous driftpiece build around floating points of return and the notion of 'communicating chambers'. Associated photography is added later to the Nightport (IV) series.
- In April 2012 Ivo Selder starts living and working in Baarlo, again at relative close distance from the Maas river. Here the long-term film project Memorium will be finalised. It's processes are ongoing, the film is expected to be finalised in the nearby future.
Sound and music related projects are prepared or in development, they are on hold as 'future project' until after Memorium. These projects are:
View with a Room (2013), Equidistance (inner workings) (2014), Nightport: Nocturnes (2014), Seaport (2015) and the continuous Nightport series.
- Also there is a new archive for a future Untitled film (possibly with relation to the Seaport project), with videofootage shot during 2011 that will be further worked on... Nightport is a continuous photographic series exploring the night, projecting inner light. In addition these explorations also regularly involve taking field-recordings. On 16 January further additions, for this Nightport (IV) series, the first for 2012, are taken in Geysteren, Wanssum, Blitterswijck and Broekhuizenvorst.